Show Some Respect

I participate in a number of online forums about writing. Most of the time, I find good discussion about the craft and the nuances that drive writing from "good" to "great." Too often, however, I find interjections into the conversations that make me ask the question, "Are you serious?" Sometimes, I actually have to back away from the computer (or even leave the room) to keep from posting a response I would ultimately regret.

Here are just a few examples I'd like to bring to light. PLEASE, do not be these people. (Note: slight paraphrasing has been done to help hide the identities of the guilty parties).

1. The "live editor." This person says, "When you're publishing an ebook, you can submit updated content after each rewrite...I return to the book often, updating the file after each rewrite; but let at least a few weeks or months pass between each edit." Yes, that is (slightly paraphrased) an actual comment from an actual writer. Yes, this means they write a book, get it out into the public, rewrite, republish, repeat. This writer is admitting not putting out a complete and polished product, and simply not caring that that is what is happening. BTW, this person also says, "Most people take longer to read a book than I take to write one."

Have a little pride in your work, writers. Take the time to put out the best story and the best manuscript you can.

2. The "anti-grammarian." I've seen quite a few of these out there. They believe writing is as free as the wind and the rules of grammar don't apply to them. I'm not talking about writers who use grammar errors for effect, to convey a certain tone in dialogue, etc. These writers know the rules and know how to break them effectively. The anti-grammarian, however, has the attitude of "I'm not going to bother with grammar or editing because I don't make mistakes" or "I'm not going to bother with it because the reader is not going to notice/care." (Once again, based on real comments) Um, yes you do, and yes they will. They might be a little forgiving for the sake of a good story, but they do notice. To say they won't is to insult their intelligence. I find it very interesting that the latter type often expect their readers to be educated enough to pick up on nuanced philosophical statements and symbolism, but don't expect reader to be educated enough to notice abundant errors in grammar and usage.

Have a little humility. It really doesn't take much to say, "I need someone else to look over this manuscript to be sure it is polished." It is not a sign of weakness to have a critique partner, copyeditor, or even an English teacher look over your manuscript to be sure it is as polished as it can be.

3. The "vocabulary snob." Speaking of lack of humility and insulting your readers, this type of writer says, "I'm not writing for 'the market,' or for the 'beer-swilling masses,'" or they say, "I write from my soul and anyone who doesn't understand is an uneducated buffoon." Well, your soul needs to learn a thing or two about the craft of writing. A bunch of thesaurus words crammed together in rapid succession does not make good writing. Good vocabulary, maybe (assuming you actually know what all those words mean), but not good writing. Now, I'm not talking about writers who have a true gift for great literary fiction, and I have nothing against people who write "from the soul," in general. I have a problem with the writers who believe their vocabulary and their complete disregard for the craft put them in a superior position to all us plebeians who don't "get" what they're trying to accomplish.

Always sit back for a moment and consider who you're writing for. Is it for yourself? Fine. Write away - just don't expect anyone other than yourself to be interested and be pleasantly surprised if they are. Is it for a genre market? Fine. Write away - just don't whine and complain if you violate genre expectations and nobody buys your book.  And so on, and so forth.

4. The "over-explainer." This type of writer doesn't give the audience enough intellectual credit. The feel like they have to explain everything. "The laceration, which is a tear in the skin different than what you'd see in a cut or a puncture wound... " (Not a real comment, but this attitude is definitely out there). I know what a laceration is. Even if I didn't, I could google it to find out. Explaining it to me insults my intelligence and it breaks up the flow of the story. Sometimes, a thing may need further explanation, especially in fantasy or science fiction worlds, but don't just automatically assume I won't understand something that is common in our world, and you have to play the role of both teacher and storyteller.

Do you see a pattern starting to emerge? Every one of these types has one thing in common - lack of respect for the reader. Do you want to be a good writer? Show a little respect for your intended audience. Think about their wants, needs, and desires as you craft your stories. Be original and thoughtful and write from your soul, but don't leave them completely out of the equation.

Comments