Hamlet, Part III

In William Shakespeare's 'Hamlet,' Hamlet is the mind character, and Laertes is the body character. That leaves only the spirit character, Ophelia, to address. 

The Spirit Character: Ophelia


Ophelia comes on the scene as Laertes is preparing to leave for France. Before he leaves, Laertes gives Ophelia some advice about her relationship with Hamlet. He seems to think Hamlet is interested in more than friendship, but less than commitment. She tells him, of his advice:

'Tis in my memory locked
And you yourself shall keep the key of it.

Ophelia does not believe Laertes, though. She believes Hamlet truly loves her and says just what Laertes wants to hear. She acts like a giddy schoolgirl, as Polonius points out.

O: He hath, my lord, of late made many tenders
of his affection to me.
P: Affection? Pooh! You speak like a green girl
Unsifted in such perilous circumstance.
Do you believe his tenders, as you call them?

As with Laertes, Ophelia seeks to please her father with her answer, but she doesn't want to lie. Instead of answering what she 'believes,' she answers what she 'thinks' (or doesn't think). 'Believe' is a spirit concept, but 'think' is a mind concept.

I do not know, my lord, what I should think.

Polonius questions her about her relationship with Hamlet. She gives a number of reasons, which are based in feeling and interpretation with a touch of hyperbole.

My lord, he hath importuned me with love
In honorable fashion
...
And hath given countenance to his speech, my lord,
With almost all the vows of heaven.

When Hamlet introduces his madness to Ophelia, she does not wonder why he is acting so, as others have responded. She, instead, runs to her father.

Oh, my lord, my lord, I have been so affrighted.

Claudius, Gertrude, and Polonius plot to uncover the cause of Hamlet's madness using Ophelia as bait. She is to return some of Hamlet's gifts so the others can judge his reactions. She consents and tries to return the gifts, items she held dear because of their meaning more than their value. With Hamlet seeming to have lost his sanity, the items have lost that meaning.

O: My lord, I have remembrances of yours
That I have longed long to redeliver.
I pray you take them.
H: No, not I. I never gave you aught.
O: My honored lord, you know right well you did.
And with them words of such sweet breath composed
As made the things more rich. Their perfume lost,
Take these things again, for to the noble mind
Rich gifts wax poor when the givers prove unkind

After Hamlet mistakenly kills Polonius, Ophelia loses her sanity. Her insanity is real, caused by the buildup of too many emotions she was never allowed to express. Hamlet feigns madness, but Ophelia becomes truly mad, singing vulgar songs before the king and queen and saying nonsensical things.

Well, God 'ild you! They say the owl was a
baker's daughter. Lord, we know what we are, but
we know not what we may be. God be at your table.
...
(sung) Then up he rose and donned his clothes
and dupped the chamber door
Let in the made that out a maid
Never departed more.
 
Unlike Hamlet, there is no method to her madness.

Comments