Hamlet, Part I

I have decided to address the three character types individually so I can include the citations necessary to illustrate the mind, body, and spirit characteristics. In Shakespeare's 'Hamlet,' the lead character, Hamlet, is the mind character of the story, as I will illustrate in this post. The body and spirit characters are Laertes and Ophelia, respectively, and I will address them in future posts.

The Mind Character: Hamlet


Hamlet comes onto the scene mourning his father's death and his mother's subsequent marriage to his uncle, Claudius. His mother, Gertrude, asks why things 'seem' a certain way with him, but he responds with what 'is.'

"Seems," madam? Nay, it is. I know not "seems."
...These indeed "seem."
For they are actions that a man might play
But I have that within which passes show;
These are but the trappings and the suits of woe

When Horatio comes to Hamlet after seeing the former king's ghost, Hamlet asks a lot of questions. The questions he chooses to ask are all informational, not emotional. He doesn't ask 'Did he seem sad?' or 'Did he say he was in pain?' Instead, he asks:

"But where was this?"
Did you not speak to it?
Armed, say you?
From top to toe?
Then saw you not his face?
What looked he, frowningly?
Pale or red?
And fixed his eyes upon you?
Stayed it long?
His beard was grizzled - no?

Hamlet has to know that his father was actually murdered before he is able to seek revenge. He does not act rashly. Instead, he collects information.

Haste me know it, that I, with wings as swift
As mediation or the thoughts of love
May sweep to my revenge

Later, Hamlet realizes he may have been duped by an evil spirit, so he comes up with another test to ensure he is correct in his actions.

The spirit that I have seen
May be the devil, and the devil hath power
T' assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps
Out of my weakness and my melancholy,
As he is very potent with such spirits,
Abuses me to damn me. I'll have grounds
More relative than this. The play's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King.

When Hamlet addresses Polonius, he is feigning madness, his arguments still hold some amount of logic and truth.

Slanders, sir; for the satirical rogue says here
That old men have gray beards, that their faces are wrinkled
Their eyes purging thick amber and plum-tree gum,
And that they have a plentiful lack of wit
Together with most weak hams. All which, sir, though I
Most powerfully and potently believe, yet I hold it not
Honesty to have it thus set down, for yourself, sir, shall
Grow old as I am, if like a crab you could go backward.

Polonius, a second-layer mind character, realizes that this is not true insanity.

Though it be madness, yet there is method in 't

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern try to get some things past Hamlet, but Hamlet sees through them.

G: What should we say, my lord?
H: Anything but to the purpose. You were sent
for, and there is a kind of confession in your looks which
Your modesties have not craft enough to color. I know
The good King and Queen have sent for you.

In the end, Hamlet knows he is dying due to treachery, the Queen is dead from treachery aimed at him, and the King and Laertes are also dead. Rather than mourning the loss or bemoaning his fate, he looks forward to future of Denmark.

O, I die, Horatio
The potent poison quite o'ercrows my spirit.
I cannot live to hear the news from England,
But I prophesy th' election lights
On Fortinbras. He has my dying voice.
So tell him, with th' occurrents more or less
Which have solicited - the rest is silence.

Hamlet is a very strong mind character, even though his character is defined by his feigned madness.

Comments